Roasted Carrots and Beets with the Juiciest Pork Chops

Carrots and beets, such winter stalwarts but it never occurred to me to combine them before. The problem lies in how beets bleed, leaving everything they touch magenta pink. This recipe from one of my favorite of Jaime Oliver’s cookbooks, Jaime at Home, offers a resolution by parboiling them separately. Ordinarily, I would find this fussy, but had a mix of purple and regular carrots as well as beets on hand, and couldn’t resist giving it a go. The real reason? Descriptions such as, “…they should be nice and sticky by now.”

As for the pork chops, look for something raised locally, a good way to ensure a nice rim of fat. Then score it so it’ll crisp up into crackly edges, and be patient when it’s done. The extra time spent resting the meat will be well-rewarded. The acidic note of the citrus is key to balancing the candy-like sweetness of the roasted vegetables, and provides a counterpoint to the well-seasoned meat. The lemon and orange may not be local but I like to think it’s at least in season someplace sunny and warm.

Roasted Carrots and Beets with the Juiciest Pork Chops

Local ingredients: Pastured pork chops from New Roots Farm; purple carrots from White Gate Farm; storage beets and carrots, garlic, and dried herbs from the garden.

This entry was posted in cooking and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Roasted Carrots and Beets with the Juiciest Pork Chops

1. Lrong says:

Woah, delicious looking stuff you got there…

2. Robin says:

We just love roasted veggies around here! I haven’t made them in quite some time though. Thanks for posting this to remind me how much we love them!

Looks yummy!

I’ve never tried parboiling root veg first – I like the idea very much.

4. Lisa says:

All I can say is –YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

5. leduesorelle says:

We definitely cleaned our plates!

6. Lisa says:

This is off topic, but have you tried making other bagel recipes or is the whole wheat recipe the first attempt at making bagels?

• leduesorelle says:

This is my first attempt at home, but we made regular wheat bagels in the class I took from Ciril Hitz, both times from his recipes: https://diaryofatomato.com/2011/11/15/baking-interlude-breakfast-breads-pastry/

I’m interested in trying something called a “Montreal” bagel from “Home Baking” by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid that’s low-rise, and also Nancy Silverton’s recipe; both use a starter. I haven’t tried it but Mark Bittman has a bagel recipe in “How to Cook Everything” that seems well-suited to the home kitchen, especially if you don’t have high gluten flour or starter on hand.