2.12.13 Winter tomatoes / pomodorini in February

IMG_3657

It’s mid-February and we’re down to four trays of the pomodorini or winter tomatoes remaining in storage. The red Aprile were harvested in September, the yellow-orange Ponderosa in early October, about five months on.

IMG_3525

They’re still quite viable, even the wrinkly ones. We’ve been cooking with them in all manner of dishes, such as frittatas, soups, stews, and, of course, with pasta.

IMG_3372

Simply halved, the pomodorini made for a warming mid-winter tomato paella.

This entry was posted in garden, tomatoes / pomodorini and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 2.12.13 Winter tomatoes / pomodorini in February

1. azita says:

Uhm, really like the tomato paella recipe, would like to make that. My store-bought tomatoes pale in comparison – but will have to do. How do you guys keep the tomatoes viable for so long after harvesting?

2. Eileen Morgenweck-Schwartz says:

Wow, if it didn’t require more shoveling I’d be tempted to jump into the car and come by for a meal.

3. Wow, that is truly impressive. Fresh tomatoes from your garden that have lasted until February. That is planning ahead. I have frozen whole tomatoes in the freezer that are good in soups and stews, but certainly no fresh ones.

4. Andrea says:

Oh what a success they have been ! well worth the effort to grow…………..

5. maesprose says:

I am very impressed!

I wish I had somewhere to store them to try keeping tomatoes that long….although (she says cogs whirring…) perhaps my parents do…hmmmm i will investigate. What temperature do you keep them at?

7. Simona says:

They look great and very comforting when outside is cold and snowy. This time of the year, I go through my stash of winter squashes (easier to store than tomatoes). I love that pan!

8. Laura Mathews says:

Hi Faith – You’d inquired with Baker Creek if we’d ever tested pomodorini aprile. We have not but it sounds like an interesting variety! Thanks for putting them on our radar.