11.18.11 Tatsoi

I’d put bok choy on our list of vegetables for next season before realizing that it was already growing in the garden. Tatsoi, a Japanese variant also known as rosette bok choy, shares the same spoon-shaped leaves and edible stalks as other types of bok choy. The plant will will form characteristic flat rosettes when grown in cool conditions, but  will grow more upright and go to seed in warmer weather. If you are planning to let it grow to maturity, allow enough space for the full rosette to spread in. Ours is growing under cover, but it can survive severe frosts and heavy snow without protection — something to remember when planning our season extension planting for next year!

When picked young, the leaves can be eaten raw and are often found mixed with other salad greens. As it matures, tatsoi becomes tougher and stronger-tasting than other bok choys, and is tamed through cooking, becoming tender and mild. We had these sauteed with leeks, garlic, ginger, and Maine shrimp; deglazed with white wine, and finished with some toasted sesame oil.

Join the weekly harvest from around the world hosted by Daphne’s Dandelions

This entry was posted in garden and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to 11.18.11 Tatsoi

1. kitsapfg says:

It certainly is a tough cookie and provides some great winter harvests when many other greens have declared defeat for the season. I am not fond of the stronger flavor of it though.

2. Norma Chang says:

Used to grow tatsoi, but haven’t for the past few years, must get back to growing. How I would love to have some fresh Maine shrimp!!!!!

3. Barbie says:

The dish sounds lovely and a great way for a first timer to try it. Especially if they love shrimp… and I do!

4. maryhysong says:

mmm shrimp! Ah well, at least I’ve got a few tatsoi out in the garden, waiting for them to get big enough to harvest!

5. Never grown tatsoi, not even sure if I’ve eaten it or not before. lol!!! Sounds good. May have to give it a try one of these days. Thanks for sharing.

~Lynn

I’ve never grown it – bok choi yes but not this variant – it must look great when it goes to seed. That combination with the shrimp and the sesame oil sounds lovely.

7. Michelle says:

Tatsoi is so pretty and your method of preparing it sounds delicious. That’s one green that I haven’t grown yet…

8. mac says:

Yum~~~saute shrimp and tatsoi. I have some growing outside, I think they needed to be moved to a larger place if they are going to take up more real estate.

9. Richel says:

for an asian twist, sauteed tatsoi and add hoisin sauce.