11.29.12 Pomodorini update

We have five small bunches of pomodorini, or hanging tomatoes, remaining in basement storage. Two of them are made up of Aprile tomatoes and three of Ponderosas, all harvested on September 16th. Pomodorini should be stored at their peak, however, the threat of last fall’s Tropical Storm Irene compelled us to bring them in early. Given the choice, we would have left them on the vine longer to ripen. They’ve been hanging in storage for almost 4½ months now and are slowly losing moisture, with some succumbing altogether.

Once picked through and brought up from the basement into the light of day, their prospect brightens. The larger, yellow ones are Ponderosas, the smaller red ones are Aprile, and are all similar in size to a cherry tomato.

Though they were harvested too early, we cut a few open and found them surprisingly viable. Pomodorini aren’t meant to take the place of a ripe, summer tomato. Instead, they add a bit of welcome freshness during the winter months. These pomodorini ended up sauteed, then slid in with some scrambled eggs for a sunny mid-winter breakfast.

This entry was posted in cooking, garden, tomatoes / pomodorini. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 11.29.12 Pomodorini update

I’m trying to work out where I could store some, inside it would get too warm. Perhaps a shed but then I suspect they might get eaten by rodents. I do like the idea of semi fresh tomatoes in the middle of winter, I would feel so proud of myself…

• leduesorelle says:

If I’m not mistaken, Liz, you’re about the same latitude as Southern Italy, just different hemisphere — which could mean you’re well-situated to grow and store these. I don’t know how cold they store them in Naples but if you have someplace inside that’s 50° to 60°F, it might be worth a go. We’d all but given up on them, but discovering that they’re still edible mid-winter has certainly renewed our commitment!

2. Robin says:

I tried a variety of storage tomatoes two years ago. I didn’t have any success with them. Maybe I should give one of these varieties a try.

3. Lisa says:

I am wondering what your favorite tomatoes are that you have grown over tha past few years?

• leduesorelle says:

Our short season, often wet, makes it difficult to grow tomatoes here. We’ve winnowed it down to the smaller ones — usually sungold, black cherry, and the pomodorini (aprile & ponderosa). The rest we rely on the farmers’ market for, especially the larger heirlooms for eating, and paste tomatoes in bulk for canning.

4. maryhysong says:

Some people pull up the whole plant and hang upside down in a cool spot; perhaps yours would last better that way? Lovely to have them in January though.

• leduesorelle says:

We hung them still attached to the vine, the way we were taught to do in Italy. We suspect that the problem had less to do with storage than that Tropical Storm Irene forced us to harvest them to early — a choice of green tomatoes or no tomatoes at all.